Students studying landscape architecture are required to have a laptop computer beginning the fall semester of their first year. The laptop should be powerful enough to support the demanding video and computational requirements of the software programs used for our coursework. The specifications below serve as a guide for the purchase of that laptop computer.
- Processor: Intel Core i7 or similar quad core processor (minimum 3.1GHz)
- Memory: Minimum 8GB; 16GB+ is recommended
- Hard Drive: Minimum 500 GB; SSD Drives are highly encouraged for both speed and stability
- Graphics Card: 4GB+ dedicated graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 or equivalent)
- Display: 15-17" Display
- Network Card: Built-in wireless network card 802.11 (g or n), also recommend built-in Bluetooth module
- Wireless Mouse: Three-button Optical Mouse with Scrolling Wheel
Faculty and Students utilize both Windows-based PC's and intel-based Macintosh computers. Either is acceptable. Certain software (ArcGIS, Lumion, et al), however, are non-native to Macs and may be required throughout the core curriculum. For that reason, students choosing to purchase a Mac may be responsible for installing both operating systems and ensuring that the required software runs on the machines they purchase. This can be accomplished through Boot Camp, an application already available on Mac computers.
- Operating System Windows 10 Pro or newer or (if using a mac) macOS Catalina or newer
- Autodesk AutoCAD Free Educational Version, Windows or Mac
- Adobe Creative Cloud Monthly Subscription
- SketchUp Annual Subscription
- Microsoft Office Suite, Free Download
- Lumion Student, Free Education Version
- Google Earth Pro, Free Download
- Land F/X, Free Education Version
- ArcGIS for Student Use, students will be provided with download instructions in specific courses
- 32GB+ USB flash drive for transferring files
- 1TB+ External hard drive for file backup and archiving
- 11" x 17" Printer/Scanner for convenient production of base maps, progress prints and final deliverables
- Desktop Monitor to increase the limited workspace of most laptops.
- Surge Protector